This revolutionary wearable child restraint is lightweight and easy to use - making it the perfect travelling companion for children in taxis and school buses. Designed for children aged 3+, available in three colours, with or without the optional safety tether. Ships from Singapore; prices in SGD.
The newest generation of RideSafer Delight is a safe and convenient child restraint. Here's why we love it:
- Ultralight; weighs less than 700g.
- Perfect for taxi travel and school bus runs.
- Adjustable shoulder belt guides and shoulder strap length enables optimal fit as your child grows.
- Certified to US crash test standards FMVSS 213.
- Features in-build energy management which helps to dissipate crash forces in an accident across a greater area than just the adult seat belt contact-area (as with a conventional booster seat).
- Optional tether strap which effectively turns the vest into a harness (like in a conventional car seat) rather than just a seat belt positioning device (like a conventional booster seat). The tether significantly reduces forward and side movement of your child's torso, neck and head during an accident - thus lessening the risk of injury.
- Gen4 design allows for increased airflow - perfect for Singapore's weather.
- The RideSafer in the size small is for children between 15 and 25kg (30 to 60lbs) and at least 3 years of age.
- The RideSafer in the size large is for children between 22.7 and 36.3kg (50 to 80lbs).
- Length of small RideSafer from top to bottom: 40cm
- Length of large RideSafer from top to bottom: 45cm
What's in the box?
- RideSafer Delight vest
- Crotch strap (optional to use but we recommend you use it)
- Cool mesh backpack to make carrying your RideSafer as easy as possible
What accessories can I add to my order when I check out?
Using the RideSafer Delight without a tether
The RideSafer Delight positions the adult seat belt over the strongest part's of your child's body. It is important to ensure the lower flap of the vest (which houses the lap-belt guides) is sitting flat on your child's legs, and isn't riding up onto their hips or abdomen.
- Tutorial video coming soon -
Using the RideSafer Delight with a tether
The tether strap hooks onto the vest at the shoulders and attaches to the vehicle's child restraint top tether anchor point. The tether effectively turns the vest into a harness (like in a conventional car seat) rather than just a seat belt positioning device (like a conventional booster seat). The tether significantly reduces forward and side movement of your child's torso, neck and head during an accident - thus lessening the risk of injury. When installing the tether, you should tighten the strap to remove the slack, but be careful not to over tighten it, as this will raise the vest and move the lap belt of the seat belt off your child's legs and onto their hips or abdomen.
The RideSafer Delight has a high tech buckle which is designed to deform in an accident, absorbing the crash energy in the process - thereby directing crash energy away from your child's body and keeping them safer. It also reduces the risk of children undoing the vest themselves. This means it can be a little tricky to open and close the first time you attempt it. This video explains how to buckle and unbuckle the RideSafer Delight.
Using the RideSafer Delight on a school bus
If you are using the RideSafer Delight on your child's school bus, it's important that the bus attendant understands how to use it properly. We offer regular face-to-face bus attendant training as part of our School Bus Safety Program and we recommend that parents encourage their schools to participate in the program (which also offers discounted child restraints). In the meantime, you can print this trilingual Quick Reference Guide (in English, Mandarin and Malay) and pass it to your child's bus attendant when you demonstrate to them how to use the vest.
(Click on the image below for its full size.)
Click here to download the user manual for the small RideSafer vest.
Click here to download the user manual for the large RideSafer vest.
Can I use the RideSafer Delight if my child is under 3 years old? What if they are already over the 13.6kg weight guideline?
Physically, the RideSafer vest will fit very small children, however it's not necessarily the best option for them. We'll give you some information about how kids' bodies work and how child restraints work so that you can make an informed decision about what's best for your family.
Children's skeletons are very different from adults'. Firstly, their head is proportionately larger and heavier (watch a toddler try to touch the top of his head: very cute, very difficult) and secondly, their pelvis and vertebrae have not yet ossified (this means the pelvis and each vertebra is made up of multiple little bones, cartilage and connective tissue, instead of a single, strong bone like an adult would have) which makes their neck, spine and pelvis much weaker and more flexible than an adult's.
Choosing 'age-appropriate' child restraints is important for us as parents because age is a more accurate indication of how strong and mature your child's skeleton is (ie. their m, compared to their height and weight. Each year your child grows, their skeleton matures closer and closer to the final adult-state. This means a four year old's skeleton is inherently stronger than a three year old's skeleton (and so on). So while you may have a big two year old who fits the height and weight requirements for a harness restraint or booster seat, their skeletons are not physically strong/mature enough to withstand the impact of an accident without the extra protection that an age-appropriate restraint, such as a car seat, offers.
So if your child is still under 18kg and 110cm, the safest taxi-friendly option for them is the Cosco Scenera NEXT car seat, which is rear facing and weighs 3kg. It fits most strollers, is easy to carry and easy to use. The next best option after that is the Urban Kanga, or IMMI Go portable forward facing car seats. Please note the Kanga is more suited to taxi-use as it can be installed with a seat belt. To install quickly in Singapore, the IMMI Go requires the vehicle to be fitted with ISOfix anchors and it can be difficult to book a car with ISOfix, especially during peak hours.
After a car seat, the next safest option is the RideSafer Delight used with the top tether strap. The vest is designed for kids aged 3+ and positions the adult seat belt over the strongest parts of the child's body (much like a booster seat does), but it has added safety features like the crotch strap (to reduce kids sliding out under the seat belt), tether strap (attaches to the vehicle itself and reduces forward movement which leads to head, neck and spine injuries), and energy deforming hardware (which acts like an energy sponge to absorb some of the crash forces so your child's body doesn't have to). For young kids, I strongly strongly recommend using the crotch strap and the tether strap (if the vehicle has a tether anchor, which about 75% of Singapore's cars do). After that, the RideSafer without tether is a great option.
It's important to note that using a child restraint for which your child is too young, is better than using nothing at all (or sharing a seat belt with them). Furthermore, it is important that you choose the safest product that you will use every single time. The 'safest' product is not the safest option for your child if it's only used half the time.
Is the RideSafer Delight approved by the LTA/Singapore Traffic Police?
In short, yes it's approved by the LTA. For the longer answer...
According to the Singapore Road Traffic Rules (Wearing of Seat Belts) 2011, when travelling in a vehicle, children until 1.35m tall (FYI, this is an average age of 10-12 years) must use either:
- an approved* child restraint appropriate to their height and weight,
- a booster seat, or
- an adjustable seat belt which repositions both the shoulder belt and lap belt in such a way that makes it suitable for the child’s height and weight and has been inspected and approved by the Registrar (LTA).
Public buses, school buses with more than 15 passenger seats and taxis are exempt from this legal requirement (but for safety reasons they should still adhere!). In all other vehicles, drivers and guardians have a legal requirement to ensure their children are appropriately secured.
*Approved child restraints are those certified by the US standard FMVSS 213; European standard ECE R44; Australian standard AS 1754-1975; Japanese standard JIS D0401-1990; or British standard B.S. 3254, B.S. AU 202a, or B.S. AU 185.
What is the tether and why do I need it?
The tether strap hooks onto the vest at the shoulders and attaches to the vehicle's child restraint top tether anchor point. The tether effectively turns the vest into a harness (like in a conventional car seat) rather than just a seat belt positioning device (like a conventional booster seat). The tether significantly reduces forward and side movement of your child's torso, neck and head during an accident - thus lessening the risk of injury. If your child is under 4 years of age, we strongly recommend you use the tether.
Where do I find the top tether anchor in a taxi/Uber?
Approximately 75% of Singapore's taxi and ride-sharing fleet have a child restraint top tether anchor point in the vehicle. If you happen to get in a vehicle without a tether anchor, simply remove the tether from the vest and only secure the vest with the seat belt.
The vest seems too big for my child; is this still safe?
The primary function of the RideSafer vest is to position the vehicle's seat belt across the strongest parts of the child's body. The adjustable shoulder belt guides allow you to achieve safe and correct positioning of the seat belt, even if the child's torso is smaller than the vest. For smaller children or children who carry their height in the legs (and therefore have a shorter torso), it's common to see the top of the vest up around their ears. So long as the vehicle seat belt is positioned across their thighs and collarbone, this is completely acceptable and safe.
What is the difference between the RideSafer travel vest and a booster?
A booster seat elevates the child to fit the adult seat belt. The Ride Safer Travel Vest brings the seat belt down to fit the child which also optimizes the existing vehicle seat belt system to protect the child by keeping a low center of gravity and allowing the vehicle seat belt and seat cushion to manage the crash forces. The vest’s belt guides place the seat belt into the correct pre-crash position and moves with the child.
So they don't sit in a booster seat?
That is correct. No more belt positioning booster seat necessary. The booster has long been the only known tool for helping the adult seat belt fit the kids. Where a booster is used to lift the child to try to make the adult seat belt fit better on the child, the RideSafer is used to bring the seat belt down to the child with 3 main benefits:
- Crash dynamics would say the child is safer in the vehicle seat. This gives the child a lower center of mass and puts her back further from the vehicle seats in front of her.
- The seat belt is properly positioned on the child’s body — low on the hips/lap and mid chest mid-shoulder and moves with the child.
- The front panels are designed to absorb and dissipate the crash energy of the seat belt as it crosses the child’s body.
The manufacturer has released the Delighter Booster that has been crash tested with generation 3 and Delight models of the RideSafer and can be used with it for those younger children who wish to see out the window.Is it for every day use or just for convenience when necessary?
- It can be used either way.
- We have personally been using the RideSafer exclusively for our children, starting in 2012 when our daughter was 4 and our older son was almost 6. We began using the RideSafer for our youngest as his daily restraint when he was 3.5 years old.
- We have many customers who use it as the primary restraint because they need the room it provides.
- Some parents who travel via taxi LOVE it because, for the first time, their child is protected in the taxi.
- We also have many customers who only use it for travel
- And probably many others who use it somewhere in between.
Does the RideSafer travel vest have an expiration date?
- RideSafer Delight vests have a 10-year expiration date.
- RideSafer 2 vests manufactured between December 2015 and June 2016 have a 7-year expiration date.
- RideSafer 2 vests manufactured between April 2014 and December 2015 have a 10-year expiration date.
- RideSafer 3 vests manufactured after March 2014 have a 7-year expiration date
- All vests manufactured between December 2013 and March 2014 have a 10 year expiration date. Expiration date added NHTSA’s request.
- All vests manufactured between 2004 and December 2013 do not have an expiration date.
You can find information for your particular vest on the inside label:
Can the RideSafer be used with a lap-only belt or is lap-shoulder required?
The RideSafer Delight (or old model RideSafer 2) can be used with a lap-only belt in those middle rear seats or middle seat of a truck in older vehicles because it is designed to be used with the tether strap which attaches to both shoulders and the vehicle’s tether anchor point when used with a lap only belt.
Can I use the top tether on the RideSafer delight with a lap-shoulder belt?
- Yes! This mode of use is tested and approved by Safe Traffic System, Inc. for the vests. Using the tether in addition to the lap and shoulder belt would reduce the rear passengers’ tendency for the unrestrained shoulder to rotate toward the front seat during a crash. Using the tether also offers additional upper body support for special needs children or extra wiggly children.
- When using the tether and the lap-shoulder belt, because the seat belt is doing the vast majority of the upper body restraining and not the tether, they can continue to use the single tether all the way up to the 80 pounds. The dual tether is only required when the vest is doing all the restraining in a lap-only belt situation.
Can I use it in the front passenger seat?
It is highly dependent upon all the variables of your transport needs but we will do our best to guide you in making the decision.
- All occupants, especially children under 13 years of age, are safer in the back seats of a car as they are further from the point of impact in a frontal crash which means they experience less crash force
- The RideSafer Delight vest is crash tested to be used with lap-shoulder belts or a lap-only belt and tether strap
- There is nothing inherent to using the vest that would prevent you from using it in the front seat, but if you do, you will want to move the seat back and make sure your child is correctly positioned in an upright seating position and sitting back correctly outside the airbag deployment zone
SAFE TRAFFIC SYSTEM, INC LIMITED WARRANTY
Taxi Baby Co's customers now enjoy an extended 10 year warranty on all RideSafer products. To activate the warranty period, please register at ridesafer.net/product-registration.
Safe Traffic System Inc (STS) warrants to the original end user (“Purchaser”) this Product, including any accessories against defects in material or workmanship for the time frames listed below. Safe Traffic System, Inc.’s sole obligation under this express limited warranty shall be at Safe Traffic System, Inc’s option, to repair or replace any Product that is determined to be defective by Safe Traffic System Inc and determined to be covered by this warranty. For 90 days from the date of purchase, if you have proof of purchase. For 1 year from the date of purchase, if you mail in a postage-paid warranty card. For an extended period of 3 years from the original purchase of product, if the customer has registered the product online. Repair or replacement as provided under this warranty is the exclusive remedy of the Purchaser. Proof of purchase in the form of a receipted invoice or bill of sales the Product is within the warranty period must be presented to obtain warranty Service. This express limited warranty is extended by Safe Traffic System, Inc. ONLY to the original Purchaser of the Product and is not assignable or transferable to subsequent purchasers or end users of the Product. For warranty service, contact us via our contact page. We will work with you and the manufacturer, Safe Traffic Sytem, Inc., to get the matter resolved. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT IS HEREBY DISCLAIMED. Safe Traffic System, Inc SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDICENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND FOR BREACH OF THE EXPRESS LIMITED WARRANTY SET FORTH ABOVE. THERE ARE NO OTHER WARRANTIES THAT ACCOMPANY THIS PRODUCT ANY ORAL, WRITTEN OR ANY OTHER EXPRESS REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND IS HEREBY DISCLAIMED.
Did you register your vest? If you need to, click here.
[effective date 09/1/17]
About The Brand
The parents at STS believe that warmth, dedication, and mindfulness must be carried on through shared happiness. They strive to share with you their mutual interest in providing your child with the best care and affection imaginable. STS RideSafer travel vests, designed and manufactured in your child’s best interest, deliver those very values in the hands of their trusted experts who know safety the best.
Their commitment is to keep your loved ones safe and sound over the past 15 years of culminated experience is absorbed in every inch of their product.
Provide your child with that devotion and care you ought to give. Keep this world warm for future generations to come, future happiness to be shared.
You’re not just loving your child, you’re sharing happiness.
Keeping children safe is our utmost priority. As such, we have a strict no-return policy for child safety products as it is not possible to ascertain the complete history (how it was used/if any parts of the product might be compromised) of the product before considering resale. We encourage you to review the product FAQs above, or contact us to ensure that this product is suitable for your family prior to purchase. For more information on our Returns Policy, click here.
We ship our products worldwide. All countries are set up in our online store so you’ll receive cost and delivery estimates when you enter your address.
We offer two international shipping options: Registered Mail and Express Shipping via DHL Express (this is the fastest, most reliable and dependable courier we've ever used), and three local shipping options: Express Delivery via Ninja Van, Standard Shipping via Ninja Van or Singapore Post, or self-collection.
For delivery timeframes for each country, please take a look at our shipping policy.